Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is leading efforts to scrap such plastics by 2022, is set to launch the campaign with a ban on as many as six items on October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, two officials said.
These include plastic bags, cups, plates, small bottles, straws and certain types of sachets, said the officials, who asked not to be identified, in line with government policy.
"The ban will be comprehensive and will cover manufacturing, usage and import of such items," one official said.
In an Independence Day speech on August 15, Narendra Modi had urged people and government agencies to "take the first big step" on October 2 towards freeing India of single-use plastic.
PENALTIES UNDER PLASTIC & THERMOCOL NOTIFICATION
- First offence Rs.5000/- Fine
- Second Offence Rs.10,000/- Fine.
- Third offence Rs.25,000- Fine + 3 month imprisonment
FOLLOWING PLASTIC AND THERMOCOL BANNED
- Less than 200 ml. Drinking water PET /PETE bottles, having liquid holding capacity Banned
- Plastic Mineral water Pouch Banned
- Plastic Bags (with Handle / Without Handle) Banned
- One time use / Single use disposable items madeup of thermocol (Polystyrene) or Plastic. e.g. dish, spoon, cups, plates, glasses, fork, bowl, container are Banned
- Disposable dish / bowl used for packaging foods in hotels and straw banned
- Any compostable Plastic Bags except for plant nurseries, horticulture, agriculture & handling of solid waste banned.
- Use of plastic & thermocol for decoration purpose banned.
FOLLOWING PLASTIC AND THERMOCOL ALLOWED
- PET / PETE Bottles having a liquid holding capacity 200 ml and more than 200 ml. (printed with deposit and refund price or by-back price under EPR)
- Manufacture of plastic and plastic bags for export purpose in special economic zone & export oriented units.
- Plastic material madeup of minimum 20% recyclable plastic material & having a thickness more than 50 micron, used for wrapping the material at the manufacutring stage or integral part of manufacturing. Thermocol used for wrapping the material at manufacturing stage. (Printed with manufacturers details, type of plastic with code number and buy-back prices under EPR).
- Plastic packaging material more then 50 micron thickness with minimum two grams weight used toseal groceries & grain products for wholesale & retail. (printed with manufacturer's details, type of plastic with code number and buy-back price under EPR).
- Compostable plastic Bags used for Plant nurseries horticulture, agriculture & handling of solid waste.
- Paper based carton packaging using one or more layer of plastic.
- Virgin plastic bagsused for milkhaving thickness not less than 50 micron & printed with buy back price.
- Recyclable multilayered plastic
- Plastic intems used for domestic purpose.
- Use of Plastic for packaging of medicine, medical equipments 7 medical products.
- Use of Thermocol Boxes to preserve fish in fishery business.
- Recyclable plastic stationery products used for office & educations.
- Other plastic products